Monday, February 9, 2009

Coupons, Coupons, and other ways to SAVE!

I don't know about all of you but I am having to find creative ways to save money everyday. Today is a grocery shopping day and I have to figure out how to get my grocery bill down, really down. I have meal planned for a few years and have really seen the impact it has on my grocery bill.

Now I am going to give coupons a try. I have never been that good at coupons. They seem like so much trouble and most of the time the coupons are for things I don't use. It is time to change my attitude and go for it.

I have just discovered the multitude of online coupon websites. How easy it that???

coupons.com
coupon Mom
Coupon Surfer
Coupon Savings

Meal Planning is definitely the way to go. I have no waste, no stress on what is for dinner, or a missing ingredient. Sunday evening the fridge is completely empty and I clean it out and wipe down all the shelves and drawers.

I started meal planning when I got the Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazine. The recipes in the little magazine all come with a picture and the ingredient list is never more than 10 items long.

The recipes are for the most part super simple to make and tasty. My son and husband have even made a few on nights when I am unable to prepare the meal.

I have about 2 years worth of magazines and hand them out to the kids on Sunday and they each pick something they want for dinner. I then write down all the ingredients needed for my grocery list. On another sheet of paper the recipe name, page #, and which magazine it came from. This is posted on the inside of the kitchen cabinet door.

The kids love they picked what they want for the week!!!

We are having Skirt Steak with Crispy Garlic Potatoes tonight.


2 comments:

~Tara said...

Menu planning is by far the easiest way to cut down your grocery bill and I just LOVE Martha's Everyday Food too, I actually made this recipe a few months back and it was delicious!!

I'm off to snoop around and I'm sure find crafts I want to do!

Julio & Stephanie Olvera said...

Meal planning is a great way to cut down on your grocery bills. I coupon too but sometimes it isn't worth my time. Sometimes it is! I participate in a coupon train which helps generate even more coupons for me to use.