I am trying my own version of $5 Dinners. Take a few minutes and check her out.
This is such a great idea in these hard economic times. I will be seeing how many other $5 dinners I can come up with.
- 1 lb dried lentils (.79)
- 8 cups cold water (free)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped(found on sale for .89)
- 1 lb. sweet sausage ($2.00)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (.12)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (.19)
- 1 garlic clove, minced(.10)
- 3 stalks celery (.32)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Jerk Seasoning or whatever favorite seasoning you have.
I made homemade bread to serve with the soup. My children love lentil soup on a cold day.