Monday, December 1, 2008

25 Days of Christmas

I am completely addicted to all things Christmas!!! I love the corny Christmas movies, holiday music, crowded malls, making holiday candy, decorating, and of course handmade gifts.

I thought this year I would try and post everyday for the next 25 days some of my favorite things (crafts, ornament making, recipes, and handmade gifts) about the holidays.

1st Day of Christmas



Making Orange Marmalade for family and friends. My son and I did this last year and everyone loved it so much we decided we need to make another batch again this year. Oranges are a little expensive this year but I found some nice ones on sale.

I love how the whole house smells like oranges and lemons while you are cooking. Orange marmalade is not as complicated to make as you might think.

Ingredients

  • 10 oranges (peels thinly sliced, pulp chopped)
  • 3 lemons thinly sliced
  • 2 quarts Water
  • 7 cups Sugar

Directions

  1. Add water to fruit and simmer 5 minutes.
  2. Cover and let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place.
  3. Cook rapidly until peel is tender, about 1 hour.
  4. Measure fruit and liquid.
  5. Alternate sugar with each cup of fruit mixture.
  6. Bring slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
  7. Cook rapidly, about 25 minutes.
  8. When mixture begins to thicken, stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
  9. Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
  10. Adjust caps.
  11. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

1 comment:

TeriB said...

What a great plan, and think what it will be like when it is finished. Blogs will be our online diaries for teh next generations of our family, and now they will have your recipe too. When I was young, my mom and her sister starting making a double batch of home-made donuts---our family always got together on Christmas Eve, so these would just be coming out of the fryer and dipped in icing as people walked in the door--the scent of those went thru the house all evening. Hmmmmmm Teri http://www.sandtcreations.com/wordpress