Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tutorial - Fabric Rose

We have finished up our Fabric Flower swap at I love 2 Create. I am just waiting on a few more flowers to arrive and then I will get them back out to everyone who participated.

I wanted to share my Fabric Roses. They are super simple to make and perfect to use your fabric scraps on.



First you will cut out 6 - 8 petals in 2 sizes. The pink rose is with 6 petals and the black roses are made from 8 petals.



I will be happy to send you a PDF with my pattern. Just drop me an email at melynda@ilove2create.com.

You are going to handsew with a running stitch each of the petals together. Start by sewing the smaller petals and end with the larger petals.

Pull the running stitch a little to gather to petal as shown in the photo. I tie a knot when the flower petals are gathered.

Next you will start to wind the flower petals around creating your rose. You can gather in your fingers and then sew it all together. You will be matching the edges together on the bottom. The bottom will be wide but flat. I think that makes sense.

Or my favorite way to wind it is to take your low-temp glue gun and use a little glue as you wind your way around.




I also attach a small piece of felt to the bottom to hide all my rough edges. Perfect to add a pen to and wear as a brooch.



Now it is your turn to create your own Fabric Roses. Please let me know if you have any questions.

13 comments:

silvia said...

Melynda~Those are beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

scrappermimi said...

These are so cute!

Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing!!!

Icy said...

Great pattern, thanks.

flora said...

beautiful roses .. i like it

jani3705 said...

Perfect...I needed a fabric rose for my lavender baby sweater!

Rosa do Adro said...

Hello, i find you in a mention on ChicaBacana. That roses are great and so easy to make.

Best regards to you

Rosa

Nice and Shiny said...

So do we fold the petals and half then sew along the bottom edge? I'm a little confused :S

Thanks!

Melynda Tetpon said...

You do fold the petals in half and handstitch them. I hope you get a chance to make one of your own.

JRZ Jenn said...

these are just gorgeous! I'm planning on making one or two for an embellishment for a dress for my daughter!

Elaine said...

Hello, Melynda! I'm from Brazil and I found you at Chica Bacana's Blog. Thanks a lot for sharing your beautiful work!

Sands said...

Great pattern, thanks very much for this. Just made 3 out of brocade for the sleeve of a strappy top. Looks great!

our family said...

Hi and thank you so muhc for your tutorial.