Friday, August 24, 2007

Cupcakes and Pickles

What do you do when there are less then 2 weeks till school starts? Kids are sick of each other? It has been raining and overcast for 4 days???

I wish I could say I sat down and sewed the pillows I have been dreaming about for my built in bench. I have all the fabric picked out and everything ready to go. All right I need to clean off my sewing area it seemed to get buried this past week under all the started but unfinished projects.

I have no pillows to show you. I did manage to get the kids to agree with each other long enough to make cupcakes. We made chocolate with Carmel frosting. This was the simplest carmel frosting in the world. It is also very rich and you only need a small dollup on top of the cupcake. Of course the kids think you need to cover the cupcake until they realized they get to lick the bowl of any leftover frosting.

EASY CARAMEL FROSTING:

1/2 c. butter
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c. whipping cream
2 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Add brown sugar; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. (Do not boil). Remove from heat. Stir in whipping cream. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat at high speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Yield: enough frosting for one 10-inch cake or 24 cupcakes.

We also finished up our last batch of pickles for the summer. It was nice weather to make pickles. This one is a garlic hot pepper version. We soaked them in salt for 48 hours to see if they come out nice and crispy.



We are going to open our jars of pickles this winter and see which ones we like best. I am hoping they all turn out.

I am going to start daydreaming of when school starts as I sit here and wash the 4th sinkful of dishes today.

3 comments:

Scrapbook Princess said...

Those cupcakes sound yummy!!!

Rachael said...

Oh yum!! I want some!!

Amy said...

Oh those both are making my mouth water with anticipation! I love homemade pickles and the cupcakes look DIVINE!